Sunday, May 2, 2010

Raviolis...Yes, please!

Saturday was my lovely mother-in-law's birthday.  She kindly requested raviolis be made in her honor.  There's kind of a story behind these raviolis...here goes:  Two years ago I made them as one of my first attempts to cook for Jason's family.  It was QUITE a messy process and it looked like the kitchen exploded.  I had never made homemade pasta dough before and I had never made a recipe that was so involved.  Everyone ate them and claimed to love them (though I think they were just trying to make me feel better ;)

All that to say, Ro requested I make them again.  I am glad to report this time I had far more success and without such mess!  I documented the process as a kind of visual step by step for me to look back at the next time I make them.  They're really great...you should try them too!












I started with 4 cups of flour, 4 eggs, and some salt.  This made enough dough for plenty of raviolis (there were 7 people to feed) and we still had a few left over!












One of those somewhat painstaking, but definitely worth it experiences---making handmade dough.  The above picture is the well you create in the middle and where you place your eggs.  Then you work the flour in.












After 15 minutes of mixing, kneading, turning, flipping...voila!  A ball of pasta dough!












Dice your chicken, mushrooms, and onions.  This will make the filling.












Add red chili pepper flakes and salt to the 'shroom/onions mix.  Saute both the chicken and the veggies.












Marianne brought over her pasta machine, which really helps in thinning the dough.  When I made them the time before, the dough was too thick!












Spoon your mixture on one half of the dough and fold the other half over.  Create pockets of mix and use a fork to press down the edges (after cutting your squares).












For the sauce you'll need:  cream (about 3 cups), 2 cups of cheese, salt, and red chili pepper flakes again.  Keep it over low to medium heat and add your raviolis (after they've been boiled for 5 minutes).












Put in dish.  Sprinkle with parsley.  Eat and be filled!

There you have it.  The far less messy process of making delish mushroom chicken raviolis.












And of course, a picture of the birthday girl showing off her age ;)  Happy Birthday Mama Palmer...we love you!

5 comments:

  1. I'm very impressed!! They look delicious :) I need a pasta roller.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were Great! I Love them but love the chef more!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo, yum! that is making me hungry just looking at them. I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutly LOVE the Palmer Ravioli Dinner. I miss those little pasta pillows of goodness! Marianne's has made them a time or two where I was able to enjoy them. YUM. COngrats on making them! And I too am so glad for the birth of Roseanne! She's like a second mom to me! Glad you guys celebrated her in style! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks good char! i too am impressed. and i didn't know the plural of ravioli could be raviolis, but i looked it up (you know if you were here we'd race to dictionary.com together to see who's right!) and it can be EITHER ravioli or raviolis for the plural form. good to know. now i don't think you're weird for saying it that way, haha. ;)

    -Erin

    ReplyDelete

leave us some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...